The technology of Augmented Reality (AR) can completely redefine education. With AR apps, schools, universities, and training institutions can offer students with tools that simplify the learning. They can full fully digitize the education process with AR, and through innovations, turn it more efficient. And for sure it will happen. Now, applying the AR technology to education is the part of the ‘education technology’, otherwise known as EdTech. As of a global report’s prediction, the expenditure in the education technology is expected to reach $252 BN at a growth rate of 17% yearly and joined by more than 1 BN users by 2020. Augmented Reality fairly takes the lead position in this trend. It offers a new set of opportunities for schools, universities, and other training institutions.
Using AR for education and training – opportunities and challenges
Augmented Reality carries possibilities to serve numerous purposes in the education sector. When the technology is implemented wisely, students or pupils get access to easiest ways of acquiring, practicing, and remembering lessons. Also, AR apps can make learning more interesting and engaging, and turn it from dull to full of fun.
The technology can be used for difference age groups or levels of education, and it will help equally well in every individual placement, be it for schools/college or for a training institution. The AR-driven education system can guide students right from pre-schooling to colleges and even to workplaces.
HOW AUGMENTED REALITY CAN BENEFITS THE EDUCATION
- Making learning accessible anytime, anywhere. One thing that AR can do quite efficiently is replacing the paper textbooks, physical models, and posters with the digital content that learners can accept more easily. Schools and colleges can make learning materials almost inexpensive when the paper-based process is replaced with electronic mediums. This will then make providing education more affordable and accessible.
- No need to expensive hardware or devices. AR is a software-based technology which doesn’t require special sort of hardware like the VR technology. Also, smartphones and tablets now have sufficient power to handle AR apps quite easily. So, all a learner will need is a smartphone or a tablet, and then he or she is ready to access the educational instructions provided in the AR format.
- Higher rate of engagement. AR makes education more engaging with interactive content. Lessons can be gamified to provide an engaging user experience. This approach fills the learning full of fun and entertainment.
- Enhanced collaboration capabilities. AR-based education apps offer limitless opportunities to diversify and shake up boring classes. Because the education can be presented in an interactive manner with the AR technology, more students will be attracted toward the learning. Also, they will participate in group learning where their teamwork-skills will be refined.
- A faster and more effective learning process. With AR apps, students can learn more in little time and understand lessons more clearly even without a deep reading. When a lesson is presented virtually, students learn is more effectively and speedily in the comparison of reading it.
- Practical learning. AR apps make learning more practical. They can turn professional training more advanced training. When applied at a manufacturing unit or an engineering site, for example, AR can produce virtual in-field conditions and train employees with the practical knowledge of a job they haven’t yet performed. This way, errors will be minimized and operations will turn flawless.
- Safe and efficient workplace training. AR can facilitate safe and efficient workplace training. Doctors, for example, can show proficiency right from their first surgery or pilots, for example, can confidently control their first flight.
So, above mentioned are the benefits of AR apps, but with new technologies come new challenges. Here are some challenges in applying AR to the education.
- A lack of necessary training. Because AR is a new technology, many people do not fully understand what exactly it’s and, how they can help them. Teachers providing education through AR may face challenges in adopting the technology. But, with proper training, they too will easily accept it and then enjoy applying it while providing the education.
- Dependence on hardware. The minimum hardware required to use an AR app is a smartphone, but many schools have just put restrictions on using smartphones during schools-hours. This issue can be resolved by providing school-owned devices having limited permissions only for education-things only.
- Content portability issues. If AR apps aren’t planned thoughtfully, there may content portability issues. The issue may surface because not all people are using the same sort of devices.