If you want to make money out of an Android application development; particularly a gaming app, you either need making it paid or place some advertisements within it. Making the app paid doesn’t guarantee it will effectively sell itself. Paid-apps typically get less response in comparison of free apps, and that’s why most of the Android application development projects are initiated as free-app and developers try to make money through advertisements.
But developers cannot put ads in an app the way they want. An unplanned ads campaign placed within the app often results in total failure for both app and the campaign itself. So what is the best way to put advertisements in an Android app without affecting user experience too?
Of course there are pros and cons of advertising. But if you are able to create difference between too much advertising versus too little advertising, you can easily spot out its all advantages. First of all, it’s clear that users do not like ads but at the same time, they don’t also want to spend money even if it’s matter of few cents or dollars.
For any Android application development, Google has already provided a lot of information to get a good start with advertisement based monetization. Also, going with Google advertisement instructions doesn’t mean you have to depend on Google’s own advertisement network. With following these instructions, you can choose any advertisement network you like. Google frees you from any limitation.
The advertisement instructions by Google help developers set up a Publisher Account and get started with the AD SDK. It informs about best ways of placing ads within an app. Here are some key points to place ads within Android game apps.
- Users don’t like interruption in the middle game. Ads intentionally placed to appear when an event of game is in-process and cover the full-screen will frustrate users.
- Choose the placing of ads either at top or bottom of the display and keep it as minimum as possible.
- Putting ads at the top goes easy with an app instead of putting them at bottom as most Android phones have major navigation buttons at their bottom and putting an advertisement at bottom of screen may be taken by users as a way to deliberately get it tapped while they want to use phone’s button.
- Use the loading screen to show up an advertisement. Placing advertisements at loading screen keep them away from main game-play. While game is loading, showing ads in this period help users stay with the game as they know the game is starting up.
- Place ads at the end of game level. It’s best practice to show up advertisements. This is the time when users can wait for another level and they can easily bear with ads. They take such placement is not coming in their way of keep playing the game.
- Video ads make more money than text and image based ads, but this sort of advertisements easily put users off. So they should be avoided.
- The ads you have placed are supposed to be relevant to the app concept. A pool app showing ad of downloading a classified app is absolutely irrelevant.
- Intrusive ads, those from air-push, often project an app as poor one and are considered as strong factor to ruin overall game-playing experience.
- The size of app matters. Try to keep it as small as possible. Big ads, on the one hand, might get you more money but, on the other hand, they easily force user to take your game as an ad showing machine instead of a game.